Mold in shower grout makes the bathroom of foggy and look dirty. It can be a nightmare for you. To get rid of this, you need to know how to clean mold in shower grout naturally. This mold also brings health risks. Grout between tiles is the porous place where molds can overgrow. You may notice some black lines or see with growths on the grout. To get rid of mold in shower grout, there are some natural ways. Following any one of them, you can easily remove the molds in shower grout.
- 1 How to Clean Mold in Shower Grout Naturally
- 1.1 Use a vinegar solution
- 1.2 Why do these formula work
- 1.3 Is bleach or vinegar better to kill mold?
- 1.4 Must pay attention points
- 1.5 Maintaining a grout-free bathroom
How to Clean Mold in Shower Grout Naturally
As there are some natural ways, they may be helpful to you. Now see the ways to how to clean mold in shower grout naturally.
Use a vinegar solution
Vinegar is an acidic solution. It effectively removes bacteria from floor tiles. Follow the process below to clean mold from shower grout.
- Take a bowl take one part of vinegar. Then mix one part water with it. It is a diluted water and vinegar solution.
- You can take this solution in a spray bottle to easily use it.
- Now spray it on the tile of your shower and let it sit. It will take a few minutes.
- Then use a brush and scrub away the mold. To remove stubborn stains and grout, apply some pressure.
- It is better to spray the vinegar solution every day after your shower. Or you can do it three times every week to prevent the growth of mold.
Use baking soda
Now I am describing how to clean shower grout mold by using baking soda. It is another useful thing to do this work naturally.
- Take some baking soda and make a paste with water.
- Use a brush or a sponge to dip it in the paste. Apply the brush in a circular motion on the grout or mold. To clean the mold thoroughly, you should apply enough pressure.
- If you see that it is getting dry, apply some vinegar solution on this. It will foam up the baking soda. Then scrub harder to get rid of the stubborn grout on the shower tiles. It also brightens your tiles.
Use hydrogen peroxide
You can use hydrogen peroxide if you find that the grout is stubborn and cannot be removable by baking soda. Vinegar also can leave some residue. In this case, try hydrogen peroxide.
- Take some solution of hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Then spray it on the shower tiles.
- Besides, you can make a solution of water, vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in the bottle and use it.
- After spraying the solution, you should keep it to sit properly before scrubbing the tiles. By this process, you can effectively remove mold and mildew from your tile grout.
Borax washing soda and baking soda mixture
You have to prepare this liquid by yourself. Take two tablespoons of washing soda and borax in one cup baking soda. In this solution, add three tablespoons of liquid soap. When you want to use this mixture, apply some vinegar on the tiles. Then add this mixture. Let it for a few minutes to sit correctly. It can take half an hour. Now use a brush which is hard but not metallic. Then rinse the tile with warm water.
Use apple cider vinegar
We use apple cider vinegar for its health benefits. But it can work magically to clean your shower grout and prevent mold. Now see how to use this to clean tile grout mold.
- Take half cup apple cider vinegar and half cup water to make a solution.
- Then apply this solution on the shower grout and let it for a few minutes.
- Now use a brush to clean the mold. Apply pressure of its needs.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe down the shower tiles. You can use some warm water to complete the work correctly.
To remove the stubborn mold on shower tiles, you can use sandpaper. The process is straightforward to do. Take sandpaper and rub it on the surface of the tiles. Use warm water to wash the residue properly.
Use lemon juice
Lemon juice works like vinegar. It is very useful to prevent shower grout mold on your tiles.
- Take some baking soda, lemon juice, and water in a spray bottle.
- Now spray the solution on tiles and let it 10 minutes to sit properly.
- Then use a brush to scrub on the tiles to clean mold and stains effectively. You can add some elbow grease to clean stubborn stains for the shower tiles.
Why do these formula work
A question may occur in your mind that why do baking soda, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, or others work? We know that baking soda is one of the abrasive things that can remove dirt particles easily from the tiles and grout. So, when you use it, you will find that the gaps are looking clean. Besides, hydrogen peroxide works as a bleach. Most of the white colored floors become dirty if the water of your bathroom is poor in quality. When you use hydrogen peroxide, it bleaches the tiles and brings the original color.
We also know that vinegar is an acidic solution. It can remove the greasy part on the surface of the tile. So, you can use it to remove mold from the tiles grout.
Is bleach or vinegar better to kill mold?
Finding mold in their home or shower is an ugly sight, and it would be dangerous. The presence of mold can damage your property as well as serious health effects. How to kill mold? Bleach and vinegar can both kill mold. But vinegar is more effective for removing mold from your home. Bleach removes mold growth, but there is a chance to return it. Vinegar kills the mold at the roots. So your first preference should be vinegar then bleach.
Must pay attention points
When you follow any process of these, you need to pay attention to some matters and need to know some basics. If you do that, you can do your cleaning work more efficiently and can save you time.
- You should always soak the shower tiles surface for an hour. It will help the grout to sit the cleaning solution, and then you can easily remove the dirt. You think that, when you clean stubborn stains from cloth, you used to soak it for sometimes. Then it becomes easier to clean the cloth. It’s similar to your tiles.
- It is good to avoid metallic brush to clean shower tiles. Besides, do not use steel wool. All the tiles have a certain softness level. So, when you use a metallic brush, it will affect the upper layer of the tiles. So, to avoid damages of the tiles and grout, avoid metallic brush.
- When you use water after cleaning the surface of the tile, try to use warm water. It is good for two reasons. First, you can wash the greasy things from the surface easily with warm water. Second, warm water reacts with the solution such as baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, lemon juice, as an air cleaner. Besides, warm water kills the mold.
- You can use natural essential oil with the cleaning solution. It helps to make your bathroom fresh and smell good.
Maintaining a grout-free bathroom
We spend our valuable time and energy to clean the bathroom to keep it away from the mold. So, we want to keep the bathroom in this clean state. To maintain a clean grout-free bathroom, you can follow the tips below:
- It is essential to know that, to keep your bathroom clean and healthy, you need great ventilation. You should open the ventilators after using it to keep the room humidity-free. If your bathroom does not have a window, you can install a fan. After using the bathroom, you should run the fan for some times.
- Keep a cleaning solution and a fresh cloth inside your bathroom. After having a shower, you should spray it on the tiles and then wipe it with this cloth. It will stop molds growth.
- After cleaning the tiles, you should use the grout sealer. It will prevent the re-growth of molds.
Growing mold in bathroom is not suitable for the health of the family members. So, it is important to know how to clean mold in shower grout naturally. All the methods describing here are really good ideas for you. You can try them to keep your bathroom grout and mold free. If you cannot clean your bathroom by following the above methods, you need the help of a commercial cleaner. You should take care of your bathroom regularly to keep it clean. Regular maintenance will help you to keep you away from spending much time in bathroom cleaning.