You may occur an accident while replacing your ink cartridge at your home. You can remove printer ink easily from your hands and skin. But when ink falls on your carpet or clothes then what to do? But there are some ways by which you can get rid of ink from your carpet. However, you must need to know how to get printer ink out of carpet. But effective cleaning depends on the size, type of ink, carpets materials, etc. You can try our tips and methods to remove ink stains out of the carpet.
How to Get Printer Ink Out of Carpet
To get printer ink out of carpet is not a straightforward process. Sometimes, it is not possible to work for you to remove printer ink from a rug. But the following techniques are most effective as we know. So, learn them and try them when you face such kind of problems.
Use rubbing alcohol and oxy clean
For this process, you need a clean cloth, rubbing alcohol, some water, Oxy-clean, and a small bowl.
- If you see that the ink is still wet and fresh, you need to blot it quickly. Use a moist clean cloth and keep it on the stain. Take out as much ink as possible. But you should avoid scrubbing, just blot the area. It prevents spreading the ink or going it into the carpet fibers. If the stained area is large, you should work from outside towards the middle.
- Take a clean cloth and moisten it with some rubbing alcohol. Then put the fabric on the spot to blot the ink. You will see that the ink is coming to the fabric. Change the cloth. Every time use a clean cloth to prevent the ejected ink to go back. If you do not find rubbing alcohol at your home, you can use hairspray because it contains alcohol at a high level.
- Sometimes, you can easily remove ink with rubbing alcohol. But if you see that the stain does not go completely, you need another cleaning solution to clean the ink.
Then follow the steps below
- Take one part oxy-clean and one part of rubbing alcohol in a bowl.
- Use this solution with a clean cloth and blot the ink stain. You should repeat the process but change the cloth.
- When the stain is almost gone, blot the stained area with some clean water. Make sure that all the cleaning solution is gone away because the residue can leave a layer that attracts dirt.
- Now use a dry cloth. Press it over the wet area to take out the remaining liquids. If the area is large, you can put some dry towels over the area and then cover it with a weight thing for a few hours.
- Then let it dry in room temperature. You can run the ceiling fan to dry it quickly.
- After the carpet being dried, you should use a vacuum cleaner to vacuum the area to take out small particles and restore the carpet fibers to their shape.
What Next: If you want to know about how to get motor oil out of carpet, then follow our blog.
You can also try this method to get rid of ink stains. But before following this direction, you should test it in a small part of the stained area. You cannot remove the permanent type of inks such as a marker or pen with technique. But for printer ink, it may be useful. For this, you need some ammonia, detergent, water, etc.
- Take a spray bottle and fill its half with clean and cold water.
- Then add one tablespoon ammonia in it.
- Now start spraying the solution on the stain. You should do it from 20cm distance. It is for preventing the damage of the pile. Then blot the liquid with a damp cloth.
- Then use a fresh towel to dry the cleaning area.
You can remove water-based ink from your carpet by following the above steps. Remember that you should not scrub on the stain. Just lightly dab it. If you force more, ink can get into the fibers of the carpet. But for wool carpet, use one teaspoon ammonia because woolen rugs are sensitive.
The DRY approach
Though there are many kinds of modern detergents to remove stains from carpet fibers, it is better to try some home remedies. These will be helpful much to remove stubborn ink from your carpet. You should read the instruction available on the products package. Besides, you can check the carpet label for the manufacturer’s guidance and advice to get out ink stains.
Distilled white vinegar
You can take a spray bottle. Take some distilled white vinegar in it. Now take the same amount of water into the container. Then dab the ink-stained area with this solution. Soon rinse the carpet with some warm water. Let it dry. To remove the smell, you can use a few drops of lavender water or lemon. It will remove the smell of ink or detergent and gives the own smell of the carpet.
Must pay attention points
These points are essential to follow while cleaning the carpet to get rid of ink stains.
- You can buy a stain cleaner named Folex. This product works well as a pre-treatment for hard stains such as ink, oil, etc.
- Do not saturate your carpet with rubbing alcohol. If the alcohol goes deep of the carpet, it can break down the bonding agent of the carpet fibers.
- If you think, you cannot remove too much amount of ink from your valuable carpet, call a professional carpet cleaner.
It is always necessary to take care of your carpet for a daily or weekly basis to keep it clean and healthy. But accident may occur. But you should not disappoint at the situation such as falling ink on your carpet. If you properly learn how to get printer ink out of carpet, you can do it naturally.