Stones and woods were used as the only flooring materials of the patio and deck for a long time. But now, many alternative materials have been discovered for indoor and outdoor flooring and among them, vinyl flooring is one of the most popular ones, especially, outdoor vinyl flooring options for decks and patios have become great choices for their uniqueness.
People love vinyl flooring materials because of their versatility, durability, and stylish look. Also, some of the vinyl flooring is water-resistant and lasts for years.
Here I will discuss the different vinyl flooring options that can be used in your outdoors.
- 1 Three Most Common Outdoor Vinyl Flooring Options for Decks
- 1.1 1.Vinyl Sheet
- 1.2 2.Vinyl Composition Tile
- 1.3 3.Vinyl Planks
- 1.4 FAQ
- 1.5 Conclusion
Three Most Common Outdoor Vinyl Flooring Options for Decks
When it comes to outdoor deck flooring, vinyl materials are the best choice for their unique design and water resistance properties. Vinyl comes in various forms and each of them has its own merits and demerits. The most common vinyl flooring options are below
This form of vinyl flooring comes in a continuous, large, and flexible sheet that is completely inaccessible to water. Some vinyl sheets are printed with different carpet patterns or images, even, custom-printed sheets are also available.
Advantages of vinyl sheet flooring
- Waterproof: These sheets are made of waterproof materials, like PVC, that can make the floor completely resistant to water. You can easily use them outdoors in any water prone area.
- Stain Proof: Printed vinyl sheets are resistant to stain as they have an extra wear layer that works as a barrier to protect your outdoor and indoor floor from spills and stains.
- Comfortable: Sheets are comparatively softer underfoot and therefore, it is more comfortable and easier to stand or walk on the floor for a long time. Also, some sheets come with an additional cushion layer.
- Durability: If you install and maintain the sheets properly, they can last for 10-20 years without creating any issues.
Disadvantages of vinyl sheet flooring
- Discoloration: Though the vinyl sheets prevent stains, they are susceptible to prehensile discoloration, most often when they come in contact with the rubber materials.
- Repairing is troublesome: Repairing sheet vinyl is not an easy task. You have two options if the flooring is severely damaged— either replace the affected area with patch or remove the entire flooring.
2.Vinyl Composition Tile
Vinyl composition tile is a synthetic flooring material that is formulated with tile mastic or vinyl adhesive and is mainly used on a leveled, smooth surface.
Advantages of vinyl tile flooring
- Affordable: It is comparatively less expensive than stone, porcelain, or ceramic floor. It has become popular for the versatility and stone tile or wood plank appearance.
- Installation is easy: This peel-and-stick form of vinyl can be easily and quickly installed on other materials and requires much less demolition. Also, it is easy to replace.
- Crack proof: The resilient tile can be the best solution for floors with cracks and excessive movement as they withstand rough and tough use, the other tiles can break.
Disadvantages of vinyl tile flooring
- Unaesthetic: The vinyl tiles are not aesthetic like ceramic, porcelain, or stone, so if you are looking for beauty, you would better go for other options.
- Flimsiness: It is not as durable as sheet vinyl. Also, it is not water-resistant, so, try to avoid using vinyl tiles in the wet environments, like tubs and showers.
Vinyl planks are flooring with narrow, long strips instead of square tiles shapes. It is also called luxury vinyl floor which is structurally different vinyl that has mainly four layers
- An aluminum oxide layer,
- A clean film layer,
- A design layer,
- A backing layer.
Advantages of vinyl plank flooring
- Design: Plank flooring comes in hundreds of patterns and colors. Also, it comes with a natural wood appearance. If you are an aesthetic person, you will love it.
- Water-resistant: The plank flooring is completely waterproof. The surface water won’t affect the plank at all.
- Durability: Luxury plank flooring is comparatively 5 times thicker than sheet vinyl making it semi-rigid, therefore, it is durable with another level and can withstand heavy load and traffic.
- Dimensionally stable: It has a rigid construction core that makes the flooring sturdy and stable. You can find plank flooring with up to 8mm thickness and with hand-scraped textures.
Disadvantages of vinyl plank flooring
- Difficult to remove: If you attach the plank with glue, it will be difficult to remove the flooring, so it is better not to use it as a temporary solution. You can avoid gluing for easy removal.
- Discoloration: The top layer of plank vinyl can not resist UV ray and may fade away the actual color and design over time.
More on LivingProofMag
Best Mop for Vinyl Plank Floors
Can You Mop Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Problems with Luxury Vinyl Tile Flooring and Their Solutions
Is Cleaning Products Safe for Vinyl Planks?
Is vinyl flooring fire resistant?
Vinyl materials, especially planks have proven themselves to be good to prevent the spreading of fire and reducing hazards. It can resist ignition, also, can stop burning after the initial source of fire is removed. But the other flooring materials should not be considered fireproof, as the adhesives, in most cases, are highly flammable.
Is vinyl a better option than laminate?
Laminate and vinyl flooring (except luxury vinyl flooring) are usually inexpensive than engineered wood, porcelain, ceramic, or natural hardwood. However, when you need durability, aesthetic-looking, and water resistance properties for the floor, vinyl is a better option. On the other side, when you need a stylish appearance with low cost, and comfortable underfoot, you should go for laminate. Both options can be better if you choose them according to your requirements.
Does vinyl materials look cheap?
Vinyl flooring materials do not look cheap, moreover, the appearance of some vinyl materials is more high-end and luxurious, like the plank vinyl flooring. The price of plank vinyl is also a little bit on the expensive side. Whether you are using vinyl flooring or not, you need to clean and maintain the flooring regularly to keep them in good condition.
These outdoor vinyl flooring options for decks and patios can be both long-lasting and aesthetic. All you need to do is, to maintain and clean the floor regularly. Nowadays, people are no longer restricted to only concrete, wood, or stone for their outdoor space. You can have the traditional look and feel by using vinyl flooring, too.