You are most likely looking forward to relaxing, after you’ve gone through of the problem of acquiring your carpet washed thoroughly. But if you discover the entire place smells like pet urine or musty, you will be disappointed.
Now, you are thinking about how is it possible. Do not worry; you aren’t the only person who faces this problem. Many people asking themselves this question “I shampooed my carpet and now it smells like urine”. There are many solutions to fix it. But, you are going to do this you need to know this why these happened?
Reasons your carpet smell like dog urine after cleaning
You aren’t alone; many people asked why carpeting smells worse after cleaning. The main reason for the bad smell is that the underlying backing or padding got wet, and it wasn’t dried properly. Most of the homeowners don’t have any way to dry the underlying padding of a carpet; for this issue, it just takes time. After cleaning, you can dry as thoroughly as possible with fans or open windows. Space heaters can help you to soak up moisture, which drains the carpet faster.
Urine has a unique means of concealing. Carpets which feature dried urine don’t always odor since the concentration was not high before cleanup, or was from the carpet long adequate to air out. During cleaning, water hits the carpet and a couple things happen. All we know that dog urine contains ammonia. So, the ammonia and bacteria re activate with the touch of water and this water leads the urine spread out.
In case the shampooing compound is not suitable for dog urine, or you use wrong amount than it could make the situation worse than it was before for cleaning.
After cleaning, the carpeting backing consumed some moisture and also remains wet. If not dry properly can lead the bad smelling.
The vacuum cleaner sucks up 90-95% water from the carpet, resulting quick dry. But when you use an old/weak machine or modern cheap machine don’t able to suck up enough water that also lead bad smelling. If you like our recommendation of how to get dog poop out of the carpet then visit the link.
Removing the pet odor
In this method you can remove the odor of urine that is soaked by carpet and carpet padding. You need to use a cleaning agent that is capable of breaking down the ammonia of urine and killing the bacteria. In this process you will need:
- A cleaning solution that is Eco-friendly and also safe for pet and human health. You can choose any one from below:
- Pet enzyme digester, such as Nature’s Miracle or Kids ‘N’ Pets.
- Isopropyl alcohol.
- Mister Max Anti-icky-poo.
- A towel
- A fan
- Black light
Locate the area
In order to get the best result, you need to know from where the odor comes. For this use an LED/UV Cat-Dog-Pet Urine Stain Backlight Flashlight. This LED low energy bulb works well on the carpet and upholstery. Backlight works fantastic for highlighting the area on carpet, wall or upholstery where any biological item absorbed. To confirm, stick your nose on the selected area by backlight.
Deals with odor
- Select a cleaning product. Before using test your selected cleaning product in a hidden part of the rug. Check the product does any adverse reaction or color fastness.
- If the test result is ok then apply the cleaning product into the selected area. It’s important that you pour as cleaner to ensure the cleaner may reach evenly deep in the carpet backing.
- After 15 minutes, use a towel to soak as much liquid as you possibly can.
- Set a fan on the area to dry quickly.
- Hydrogen per oxide can also be used instead of the cleaning agent. But, you need to check a small area before using.
- If the carpet is enough small then wash it with the washing machine. You will get a better result. Use vinegar on washing machine to deal with the odor.
- Use steam cleaner if you can.
- Avoid the rental carpet cleaner or the old/weak vacuum. Sometime they can’t suck enough moisture from the carpet.
Oprah, A Pet Stain Removal Expert?
Oprah Winfrey is an expert on a lot of things, especially stain removers. Who knew? On this video she gave advice how to remove dog urine smell out of carpet on Live with Kelly & Michael.
I think you got your answer that put on your mind “I shampooed my carpet and now it smells like urine”. The method is effective. But sometimes, you may need to apply the process, again and again, to remove the odor from carpet. So, do not be disappointed. In this way, there is no chance of damaging your carpet or your pet health.